Dec 29, 2010

Album Review: Speak Now by Taylor Swift

This album has done something that few other albums (if any), have done before. All the songs on this album have charted on Billboard’s Hot 100. It also debuted at the top of the Billboard 200. So, naturally, I had to listen to it, because by God, my curiosity will be the death of me.

I will admit that I am not really a member of the target demographic for this album. In fact, I’m quite the opposite. But that’s the reason I listened to this in the first place. Some people who like Taylor Swift need to be convinced that other people do have reasons for not liking her. I'm making it easier for them by providing the reason that I don't like her.

So let’s get on to the music.

1. “Mine”

While this song is technically sound, it’s still pretty bland and boring. I’ve always had trouble trying to remember this song, especially compared to some of her other songs. There’s nothing special about it, and I forget it soon afterwards. The only things I really have to complain about are all rather nitpicky, mostly choice in lyrics. This song may not make me wanna turn the radio off, but I’ll probably be thinking of something else instead of listening.

2. “Sparks Fly”

I’ll say this about “Sparks Fly”: this song could be someone’s “Girl All the Bad Guys Want.” If you’ll remember, the latter song is #44 on my Top 50 list. It really only rates about average, and most people don’t remember it, but it’s one of my favorite songs, because I find it so relatable. The second song on Taylor’s album will probably be just that for a lot of girls. And as another point for it, I will admit that the song is actually long enough for Taylor to get creative, however little that may be.

3. “Back to December”

I’ll admit it right away, my dislike for this song is mostly subjective. After all, the protagonist of this song actually does have some depth. It’s one of the very few songs that I think she genuinely bases on a real-life event of hers. But it’s so, so very slow. She could’ve easily fit something with the same impact on your pathos into a 3 minute song. It overstays its welcome, and I begin to resent it after two minutes. I will give you a pass if you like this song, just please understand that I don’t. Unfortunately, opinions don’t always need good reasons.

4. “Speak Now”

The eponymous song of the album really needs one thing said about it. It’s “You Belong With Me.” Same theme, same structure, same progression. Slightly different key and slower rhythm, but it’s still “You Belong With Me.” They’re both songs about a girl trying to convince  a guy to break up with his significant other. The only difference is, instead of manipulating the fragile hormonal mind of a teenage boy, she’s crashing the wedding of a young man and his bride-to-be. She’s already reusing ideas. That’s not good for having only been around for four years.

5. “Dear John”

I was okay with this song up to a point. It was about a young woman/teenager breaking up with a guy who hasn’t treated her all that well. But then I listen to the third verse. She knew before she got together with him that he wasn’t a good boyfriend for other girls that she knew. So it’s her own fault for hooking up with him to begin with. Blame the guy all you want, but she was kinda asking for it when she got with him because she thought he would treat her well, despite clearly visible evidence to the contrary. He is still a jerk, but she took it when she should’ve left it.

6. “Mean”

Nope. I’m sorry. I can’t like this. Who it’s about doesn’t matter. This song is petty. Oh so very petty. Actually, I take that back. If this song is supposed to about Kanye, which most people theorize, that makes it sound even more petty. Especially towards the end of the song, where her voice takes a malicious overtone, where she’s basically being what she accuses whoever the antagonist of being. Grow UP, Taylor Swift! I cannot like this song. Based on mere principle. I will always ask you to skip it.

7. “The Story of Us”

I do like how she tries to make this sound more like a pop-punk song. What I don’t like is how this is basically a pop-punk version of “Back To December.” I mean, is she seriously recycling plots from the same album? Pink Floyd released four completely different albums in the span of six years! Maybe that’s the solution, maybe she’d work better in a band.

8. “Never Grow Up”

Ladies and gentlemen, Taylor Swift at her most honest. This song was inspired by her divided feelings about growing up. It’s a subject matter that not many artists have sung about. It is a relatable song, and could become another personal favorite of some, but not many. Also, Taylor does seem to be more comfortable when the songs are closer to her country origins. But still, most people will forget about this song after they stop listening to the album. Unless they don’t listen to albums. Otherwise this song is doomed.

9. “Enchanted”

I’ve noticed that Taylor has a tendency to take a thin concept for a song and stretch it out as long as she can. “Enchanted” helps to solidify that notion. Other songs have this one packed into the first verse, maybe stretching a little bit into the second. But any longer than that, they know that they start losing people. No one has ever taken the first verse and stretched into a nearly-six-minute song. Until now. You can’t leave people hanging! People want a resolution to this type of plot line!

10. “Better Than Revenge”

Hey, more pop-punk. Specifically, “You Belong With Me” in pop-punk. She’s talking about getting revenge on a girl for getting with a guy she likes and tried to date. I think it’s implied that the other girl was actually a friend, but I’m not sure about that. But still, seriously? This subject again? How often has this happened to Taylor? She’s 20, people usually only have one of these kinds of heartbreaks at that age. And you know the worst part? She never actually says if she ever gets the revenge she wholeheartedly wants. High School Lunchroom Rule #1: Never make threats that you can’t back up.This is kid stuff, Taylor!

11. “Innocent”

Hey look at that! Another “growing up is hard” song. When she sang this song at the VMA’s a lot of people assumed that Taylor was using this song to forgive Kanye. I don’t think that’s the case. To me, this song sounds like something she would sing to herself, trying to be mature and forgiving but failing in the end. And then of course, talking about how things were easier when she was a kid. I don’t think she’ll ever forgive Kanye, but I do hope that she does eventually grow up.

12. “Haunted”

She immediately gets points on this song for using violins in the intro. And, Oh! how the tables have turned! This time the male that she’s in a relationship with is breaking up with her! Blargh. I do like the instrumentation to this song. And the guitar solo both was well played and matched the mood of the song. I’m really tired of these breakup songs, though. Oh and this song does about as much for the Strong Independent Woman archetype as Bella Swan.

13. “Last Kiss”

I think this was a sort of sequel song to “Haunted”. I can’t be sure, though, since the rest of these songs seemed to be their own self-contained narratives.This song, once again, takes six minutes to say pretty much the same thing over and over again. It just drags on about how she misses her ex. That’s it. She does talk about the time he first told her he loved her, which was pretty generic. But other than that, nothing actually happens in this song. You could tell a really detailed story in a six-minute song, yet she chooses not to.

14. “Long Live”

My God. She did it. She stole a movie cliche and made it into a song. She ended her album at a high school dance. I don’t know what to make of this. She used the end of every high school movie ever to close her album. And this is about as good as those movies too! There is almost a plot of how the meek and lowly overcame the popular and powerful. But I would’ve preferred a whole story instead of just the end of one.

Closing Thoughts

This album was a mixed bag ranging from bearable to detestable. Every song here is technically sound. If you like pop music or country music, you’ll like this album. Is it a masterpiece? No. Should it have sold it as well as it did? In my opinion, no. Every song basically had the same structure. A lot of them had common themes. And Taylor Swift really needs to be more creative with her lyrics. Is this album bad? For me, yes. For others, that’s up to them. Is it a sign that Taylor Swift has matured? No. She experimented a little with her sound, and at times it seemed to work out. But some songs can still be confused others, or even with songs from her older albums.

All in all, Taylor Swift is just too straightforward and straight-laced for me to be interested in her music. As she gets older, if she’s still popular, I wouldn’t be surprised if she got really good at writing songs. But right now, she’s young and is trying to stay young. And I’m afraid people will lose interest before she has the chance to evolve.

1 comment:

  1. I despise Taylor Swift. I've heard a couple of songs off of this album and all of them made me want to vomit. Especially Dear John and Mean. Both songs are just petty, pathetic, thinly veiled attacks on John Mayer and Kanye. I think the main reason I don't like her music is that I can't relate to any of it. I don't live my life with a high school mentality about boys. I'm a woman not a little girl and all she writes are little girl songs.

    PS-
    I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read "Oh and this song does about as much for the Strong Independent Woman archetype as Bella Swan."... Sheer brilliance.

    ReplyDelete