Dec 13, 2010

My 50 Favorite Songs

Welcome, one and all, to my brand new music blog. Here, I will chronicle my reactions to the new popular songs given to us by the industry, as well as my explorations of the art form in general.

Now, you may ask me why I’m doing this. My answer is simple. I want to understand music more fully. I have no legitimate education in music, save for my years in choir, and for most of my life, have ignored the passion that I have for finding and listening to music new and old. I wish to fix this. After all, our love for music is part of what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

But first, I need my audience to understand the point from which I’m starting. Which is why I’m going to open up this blog with a list of my favorite songs.

I created this list honestly and earnestly, because I feel that’s important. I don’t want to appear to be a snob or create an image for myself that is untruthful. These are all, truly, the songs that I’m most willing to listen to, the songs that I will play simply because I want to hear them, or that, when they come on the radio (yes, I still listen to the radio), I will pause and listen.

And since this is such an ambitious list, I had to cut myself off at 50, and I will be dividing the list into smaller, more digestible chunks, being released daily for the rest of the week.

So with this goal in mind,  go ahead and read the first part of my list on the other side of the break.



First, there are two songs that deserve an honorable mention:

Down” by Jay Sean
   
This is the song that got me to listen to pop music again. The beat is bouncy, the singing is energetic, hell, even Lil’ Wayne’s rap verse is a whole lot of fun. Sure, the lyrics can be a little bland at times, but the song is just plain fun.

Meet Me Halfway” by The Black Eyed Peas

People will want to argue this point with me, but it is my opinion that this is the best song that the Black Eyed Peas have ever written. Not only is this the best that Fergie has sounded, but the best that everybody has sounded. The chorus is breathtaking, the verses are emotional and heartfelt, and the production is amazing! Taboo doesn’t really do much with his verse, but it’s actually my favorite. While “Down” got me to listen to pop music again, this song kept me going.

And now, without further ado , onto my 50 favorite songs:

50. “Club Can’t Handle Me” by Flo Rida

I shouldn’t like this song. There is nothing about this song that is unique or even noteworthy. But for some inexplicable reason, this is my favorite song on the charts right now. Even though it uses basically the same beat as “I Gotta Feeling” a BEP song, David Guetta makes it fun and bouncy enough that I don’t really care. And Flo Rida, talk about a truthful name. His rapid-fire lyrics, though a little shallow, keep the song moving at a breakneck pace, and who doesn’t sing along with that chorus? Seriously. I love this song, even though I shouldn’t.

49. “Peggy Sue” by Buddy Holly

Not many people nowadays realize that if Buddy Holly hadn’t died in that plane crash all those years ago, he would’ve been “The King” instead of Elvis. And while “Peggy Sue” wasn’t really his most ambitious song, it’s the favorite of many people. It’s a very simple song, from a time when all music was simple, which is part of the reason I find it so catchy. I’ve spent many hours of my life trying to emulate the sound Holly makes during the refrain. It’s a classic, and more people should know about it.

48. “Thnks fr th Mmrs” by Fall Out Boy

I’m one of the few people who liked Fall Out Boy more after they “sold out.” They experimented more, came up with some really clever songs, and helped push the boundaries of their genre. “Thnks fr th Mmrs” is, admittedly, one of their simpler songs, but it’s my personal favorite. I mean, how could you top opening up the song with brass instruments?! And let’s not forget about the music video, which I absolutely love.

47. “Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl)” by Green Day

21st Century Breakdown didn’t get a lot of attention, but I personally think it’s some of Green Day’s best work. And this song, for me, is the cherry on top. The mix of Hispanic sounding chords along with the Punk Rock rhythms makes this song a standout on the album. “21 Guns” is probably the better song, but this one is a lot more fun, and a lot more dark and dirty. Which is what Rock is all about, if you ask me.

46. “Story of A Lonely Guy” by Blink-182

Talk about a song that speaks to the soul. This is the story of my life. This may not be my favorite song, and it also may not be Blink’s best, but it’s the one to which I relate the most. You can take any line from this song, and I’ve probably said it. I’m the guy who can’t talk to a girl, or finish a race I started, because I let my low self-esteem get in the way, just like the protagonist in the song. I know it’s not cool to like depressing songs, but this song holds a special meaning for me, which is why it’s on this list.

45. “Moondance” by Van Morrison

I have a fascination with the moon. Likewise, I have a fascination with songs that mention the moon in the title. And the one I listen to and get stuck in my head most often is Van Morrison’s “Moondance.” I may or may not have actually sung this to a girl at one time or another. Actually, I haven’t. But I totally would. She may or may not throw her drink at me for singing an old song, but I want to make this song a universal choice for a date song.

44. “Girl All the Bad Guys Want” by Bowling for Soup

Yes, this is another “OMG! This is totally about me!” song. I have a habit of falling for the completely wrong girl and kicking myself for it. I’ve sung this song to myself so many times in public that people probably think I’m crazy. But how could I not when I’ve been in the exact same situation described in this song so many times in my life!

43. “Suspicious Minds” by Elvis Presley

When I think of music in the 1950’s, I think of Elvis. And when I think of Elvis, out of his entire years-long discography, I think of this song most often. Why? Because of the soaring vocals, the blast of instrumentation, and the potential heartbreak contained within this song. The man was arguably the most prolific singer-songwriter the music industry has seen to date, and this song shows us why. He loved what he did, and the world loved him for it.
(Edit: While looking for the original song, I also found a very well done remix that came out recently. To check out, click here.)

42. “Jessie’s Girl” by Rick Springfield

I know what you’re thinking. “Another song about wanting a girl you can’t have? God, you’re depressing.” Yes, the song does have a similar subject matter as some other other songs I like. But that’s not the reason I like it. This song is just fun to listen to. It successfully uses the word “moot” in a way that actually makes sense. I have to applaud Rick Springfield for that great accomplishment.

41. “Jenny (867-5309)” by Tommy Tutone

Yet another song that is just plain fun to listen to. Admit it, you’ve sung along with this more times than you can count. From the upbeat guitar riffs, to the ironically disturbing story, to the so goddamn catchy chorus, this song will stay in your head for days, and you won’t mind, because it’s so freakin’ fun.

Come back tomorrow for Part 2!

1 comment:

  1. Great songs! I must say I am pleased to see I'm not the only one with a wide variety of music likes!

    ReplyDelete