Dec 26, 2010

Hot 100 Reactions: December 23

Hey everybody! Hope you had a good Christmas. And welcome to the first ever Hot 100 Reactions! (name may possibly be changed to something more creative in the future)

This is where I’ll be listening to the songs that debut on Billboard’s Hot 100 list every week, writing down my reactions, and posting for all of you to flame.


(P.S. I'm running late for the extended family Christmas party. Will update the post with links later tonight.)

DISCLAIMER: The views following the break are purely subjective opinions and are by no means professional reviews. You may feel free to disagree

9. “6 Foot 7 Foot” by Lil Wayne, feat. Cory Gunz

Let me start digging my grave here. I’ve never liked Lil Wayne. His lyrics hardly ever make sense. The beats that he uses range from mediocre to nauseating. His flow is okay, but has never really impressed me. This song is pretty much that. Cory Gunz’s verse improved towards the end, but still wasn’t really that good. And I’m getting really tired of rappers complaining about haters in their songs. Oh, and why did this have to sample “Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)”? What did that add? All around, the song infuriates me.

80. “Higher” by Taio Cruz, feat. Travie McCoy

Okay, I’ll admit it. I like shallow dance club anthems. And it’s usually because of the beat. I like beats that are bouncy, layered, and natural, which they usually are in club songs. This song gets a few extra points because both Travie and Taio sound really good in the song. I actually like this remix better than the original version. And yes, the lyrics are pretty shallow. But I can look past that, because this song is supposed to be fun.

82. “Moment 4 Life” by Nicki Minaj, feat. Drake

Ah, Nicki Minaj, I’ve seen more of her on the charts these past six months than almost any other artist. And somehow, she sounds her best here. She does have talent, it’s just whether or not she actually uses it. She finally uses it in this song. Drake on the other hand, well, I think Drake is kinda overrated anyway. Overall, this song is okay. But if Nicki keeps moving in the right direction, I could end up really liking her.

86. “F**kin’ Perfect” by P!nk

Eh, this song is kinda boring. The sentiment is nice, but I feel like “Raise Your Glass” did a much better job of getting that sentiment across. Pink’s vocals are fine, but the lyric choices are lackluster and the instrumentation never really does much. In the end, there’s not much I can say about this song.

90. “What Do You Want” by  Jerrod Niemann

I suppose this song is okay. The lyrics are heartfelt and the vocals suit the content. I’m just not a huge fan of country.

92. “Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not” by Thompson Square

Call me jaded, but I don’t like this song. I’ve heard several songs like this in my life and can’t remember the names of any of them because they never impressed me. I don’t find anything about this song engaging. Maybe I just don’t like hearing about the relationships of people I don’t personally know, but this song just makes me want to close the tab in my browser to stop the song from playing.

93. “When A Woman Loves” by R. Kelly

Well, hello, 1950’s R&B! R. Kelly nails it here. The beat, despite being made in midi, which I normally hate, sounds just about perfect. R. Kelly himself pauses in all the right places and repeats all the words to make the song sound authentically old-fashioned. Even the lyrics, simple yet descriptive, sound vintage. I’m telling you, go listen to this song.

94. “You Be Killin’ Em” by Fabolous

Ugh. Okay, I kinda like the beat, and the chorus is catchy. But the verses, oh god the verses. Whoever this Fabolous guy is, his flow sucks. Hard. And the lyrics are almost insulting. And could the girl described in the song sound any less appealing? This song needs to go away. And Fabolous needs to go sit in the corner and think about what he’s done.

97. “For The First Time” by The Script

This song doesn’t really stand out, but I personally like it. It’s like a modern “Living On A Prayer.” This song gets straight to the point, with only a little bit of wordplay now and again, about how a couple has been affected by the recession, and how they’re still staying the course. So, yeah, I find this song enjoyable because I find it relatable.

100. “Oh Santa!” by Mariah Carey

Well this is new. I both love and hate this song at the same time. I like that it has a fairly original theme for a Christmas song. And it’s put together pretty well. But I don’t like that it’s a heartbreak song connecting itself to Christmas. I mean the holiday season is supposed to be the season of happiness and peace. Okay, I suppose this isn’t the first song to go against that preconception, but I still don’t like it.

So there you go, there’s the first week of Hot 100 reactions, proving to be very up and down. Come back for more next week. And don’t forget my first album review on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment