Jan 6, 2011

Nine Hit Songs From 2010 That I Surprisingly Liked

Yes, this is a day late. I was busy arguing with my internet provider yesterday, trying to get them to fix my nonfunctional DSL connection. It was not fun.

Over the past six months, I’ve heard a lot of songs I didn’t like. But there was a surprising number of songs that I actually rather enjoyed. And some of that number were more surprising than others. And so, I decided to compose a list of of the songs from 2010 that I have the least reason for liking, and yet I do anyway.

“Club Can’t Handle Me” by Flo Rida

I’ve already explained why I love this song. And I’ve also explained why I shouldn’t love it as much as I do. So before I start repeating myself too much. Let’s just move on the next song.

“When A Woman Loves” by R Kelly

I’ve already talked about this song, but I wanna talk about it again. This song absolutely blew me away. I don’t remember what I was expecting this song to sound like, but I certainly didn’t think it would be anything special. Boy was I wrong. This song is a perfect homage to the Rhythm & Blues songs and singers from the 50’s. I’m not asking you, I’m telling you, you need to go listen to this song.

“Memories” by David Guetta, feat. Kid Cudi

David Guetta is an evil genius. He has a way of taking a really simple beat, a lot of the time deriving from his own work, and making it so it won’t leave your head. This is the most different song I’ve heard from him, at least in the way it sounds. And strangely, I really dig it. Kid Cudi’s rapping is pretty good, though the lyrics themselves leave you wanting a bit more.  Guetta’s got it figured out, and the rest of the music industry following his lead is very much a good thing.

“Erase Me” by Kid Cudi, feat. Kanye West

I personally find this song hilarious. I can’t tell whether it’s supposed to be, but considering this song is about being a celebrity still in love with a woman who left you and now hates you, and actually enjoying the fact that she hates you, it’s surprising laid back. Kanye’s verse is ridiculous, but I think that adds to the charm. Also, it ironically seems very realistic, possibly portraying how a relationship with a famous pop culture figure would actually pan out. Oh and it’s super fun to listen to.

“Just a Dream” by Nelly

I never would’ve thought I would like a song by Nelly. I suppose “Air Force Ones” kinda ruined it for me. But this song is just so easy to listen and to sing along with. I don’t really relate to the song, though I can tell he means what he’s saying. There’s just something about the way this song was put together that makes me enjoy it.

“We R Who We R” by Kesha

This song is sort of a call back to “Tik Tok”, which even I will admit is probably her best single from her first album. Once again, it is the producer on this song that was one of the few saving graces, because the beat on this song is amazing. This is probably her best sounding song yet. Granted, the lyrics are still the same old vapid, club-stomping, get-your-crunk-on songwriting that we’re used to from Kesha. So basically, it’s the same dilemma as “Tik Tok.” As long as I don’t listen to the lyrics, I can enjoy it.

“Raise Your Glass” by P!nk

When I first head this song, I immediately thought it sounded too much like Katy Perry’s “California Gurls” and “Teenage Dream.” After I heard it a few more times, though, I learned to appreciate this song on its own merits. Some of the word choices are beyond stupid, and it doesn’t it sound very original. But the message is what a lot of people need to hear, and I’ve always liked Pink for trying her hardest to get that message out to people.

“Dynamite” by Taio Cruz

I only really like about half this song. I hate the verses. They have no substance, they aren’t creative, and they don’t sound all that great either. The verses can be cut out of this song entirely. The chorus and bridge on the other hand, I sing along with those almost every single time. And the beat is near perfect, building and dropping in all the right places, moving the song forward at and supporting the vocals in just the right way to make this club song stick out from the rest.

“Fireworks” by Katy Perry

This song is admittedly very cheesy in its message and in its delivery. That aside, Katy Perry sounds really good in this song. She still doesn’t have a very good singing voice, but somehow, she makes it work for her, this being quite possibly her at her best sounding so far. And the beat for this song is perfect! It’s upbeat, and also very moving with a few minor notes thrown in. And the way the strings carry the pre-chorus is absolutely amazing. The producers, Stargate and Sandy Vee did I really good job with this song.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really know anything about music sadly. ^_^; Though 2010 WAS a great year for movies and Video games. I guess 2010 was just overall a great year for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete