Jan 9, 2011

Hot 100 Reactions: January 3

There were only two songs that debuted on the chart this week. So for just this week, I’m gonna review the two other songs that re-entered the charts but I hadn’t reviewed for the blog before.

Also, the first song is from a show’s soundtrack, which I don’t like to do, but since, again, there are so few songs this week, I’m gonna do it anyway. Just remember that soundtrack songs most likely won’t be included in the future. Yes, this includes Glee.

79. “Big Night” by Big Time Rush

Okay, it’s not as terrible as I thought it was gonna be. But this song still fails. Why? Because it’s boring. There are four singers in this band, and I can’t tell the difference between any of them. The lyrics have less substance than “I Gotta Feeling.” The beat is dull, burying the details in the melody underneath the bass, which is weird because the production duo, S*A*M and Sluggo, are apparently really popular in the industry right now. Nothing stands out in this song, and it’s really only on the charts because the tweens who watch the show keep buying their songs.

98. “A Little Bit Stronger” by Sara Evans

Why does all Country sound the same? Seriously, I’ve been doing this for seven months now, and I’ve very rarely heard a Country song that’s actually stood out. And it’s not the themes. I actually like most of the themes. And many Country singers are even clever with their wordplay. This song is a prime example. I find the subject relatable, and the lyrics actually make me empathize. But if I weren’t reading the lyrics while listening, it would just be another country song.

99. “Bass Down Low” by Dev, feat. The Cataracs

Good lord, what the hell is this? Here’s an idea: let’s take the girl from “Like a G*6” and put her in a song that’s even more annoying! What could possibly go wrong? Oh yeah, that’s right, it could be a nauseating mess of various musical concepts thrown together. For future reference, this is the kind of song that I would say is overproduced. The beat has several elements that don’t really go together and are fighting each other to grab your attention. Also, the rapping and lyrics are just off.

100. “Opposite of Adults” by Chiddy Bang

Now this is more like it. The beat, sampling MGMT’s “Kids” in just the right way that it’s not obnoxious, is perfect for the song. The rapping and flow, though not top-notch, is just fun. It’s basically a bragging song, the protagonists talking about how they’re rich and famous rappers now, like what they wanted to be when they were kids. And they do admit that it’s not all it’s cracked up to be, but they still have fun doing it. That’s why this song is great, though, because you can tell that the guys had fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment